We handled bringing the healthy snack for my son’s Holiday party at school, which was a snowman theme. We were asked to bring mandarin oranges and I wanted to turn them into a snowman, and I’m so glad I came across this precious craft idea by Modern Mom Life. It was just the inspiration we needed to make a healthy but very festive snack for his party. We loved creating this mandarin orange craft and it gave us a fun afternoon activity to do together. My boys helped assemble and cut things out as I glued everything together, and they loved the final product.
- 2 Halo Oranges per Snowman. I first purchased the Cutie brand and had to go back and get the Halo brand because they are smaller, smoother, and more round. Learn from my mistake. 🙂
- Ribbon (1/2″ width). I just pulled random strands I keep in my gift wrapping area.
- Googly eyes
- Brown Pipe Cleaners
- Black Sharpie Marker
- Orange Foam Sheet
- Assorted Buttons
- Colored Pom Pom’s and Matching Pipecleaners (for earmuffs)
- Black Mini Top Hats. I purchased from our craft store in the miniature dollhouse section.
- Glue Gun
- Tooth Picks or Skewers
- Cut little triangles out of your orange foam piece.
- Cut 2-inch strips of the colored pipe cleaners for the eye muffs.
- Cut and assemble the arms. You’ll need 2-inch strips and 1-inch strips of the brown pipe cleaner. Simply wrap the 1-inch strips around the 2-inch strip.
- With a black sharpie, draw little dots to make the coal mouth.
- Fasten the arms to the top of one orange with hot glue.
- Once you’ve attached the arms, add an orange on top and push a toothpick or small skewer through.
- Hot glue the googly eyes, the orange nose, and the button on your snowman.
- Wrap the 6-inch ribbon around the middle of the two oranges and tie like a scarf.
- Hot glue the two pom pom’s and the cut pipe cleaner pieces together to make the earmuffs.
- Fasten the hats or earmuffs to the head of the snowman.
You should end up with some really cute, yummy snowmen that your kids can also enjoy for a snack. Hope you stay warm this winter and this gives you a fun craft to do with your kids while the weather is cold outside!